Yugenpedia is a publicly viewable (but invitation-only editable) wiki that focuses on the yugen ("deep understanding") of early stage technology companies. The intent is to create a more objective and candid view of companies that are far too early stage to typically merit a Wikipedia entry, but for which the startup community, including investors, would benefit from a realistic assessment.
The fictional Acme Corporation serves as a guide for best practices in creating and editing a company page.
Further clarification of the section contents based on the sample entry:
- Introduction: Brief, one or two sentences.
- Background/History: Should include some background to the field as well as a brief company history.
- Product: keep it simple.
- People/Team: In most circumstances, the LinkedIn (or similar) link should be sufficient, and only officers should be listed.
- Competitive Landscape. A discussion of the industry and its major players, both incumbents and other starups.
- SWOT: Users are encouraged to use the table provided in the sample entry. If you are looking for an excellent example of one, consider this page Prodigi.
- Update: Monthly updates ensure that the company will be listed on the main page in the Updates section. Company pages without updates for a period of six months are at risk of being removed from the active pages of yugenpedia.
- Goals/Results: Note how this differs from the Updates Section. Namely, Milestones/Results Is a publicly viewable record of a sequence of time-specific (typically quarterly) goals the company sets and a reporting out of their performance against the goals. Potential investors place great emphasis on evidence of a management team's ability to set realistic, value-creating goals and then execute on them. Given the importance to investors, this section may well prove the most valuable to companies, both in terms of attracting investors as well as succeeding overall as a company. Be very careful to make these well thought out goals that meet the classic SMART criteria. And only after you have written the results of the first goal on the date you committed to should you enter a new goal.
- See Also: Include links to articles within yugenpedia.
- External Links: At a minimum, please include company's official web site.
- Yugenpedia is publicly viewable. Do NOT put any information on the site which is confidential or proprietary in any way.
- Keep articles to a reasonable length. IBM is a multinational company with more than 300,000 employees, annual profits in excess of $10B, and over 100 years of history. Yet it's wikipedia entry is still of a reasonable length. Use that for perspective to keep articles concise. A target would be less than 10,000 bytes (click on the page information link at the bottom of the left hand column to see the byte count of the page).
- If you are joining Yugenpedia specifically because you are helping to fill out the article about your company, keep in mind that entry is not your page. It is a page about your company, not a page owned and written exclusively by your company. It is jointly edited by the community. The page about a company could be edited by an informed investor, another mentor, or even a competitor (though this is discouraged. If competitors also have pages, rather than getting involved in an edit war or each others entries, we instead suggest that you reach out to them to jointly edit a page about the industry. See, for example Self-sovereign identity.)
- Edits need to remain respectful and civil, and to one's best available knowledge, accurate and truthful.
- As with wikipedia, the credibility of an article is enhanced by links to external sources.
- For more information about the mechanics of editing, consult the MediaWiki help page